1969 Chevy C10 pickup


#1

Hi everyone, working on a project with my dad this last weekend and ran into a little problem. Hanging the doors the nut plate is stripped out on one of the hinges. Does anyone know if there is a way to correct this issue without cutting the pillar open and replacing the entire nut plate?


#2

,Here’s a couple more pics of the 69.

Put the radiator on temporarily to test run the big block 454

Checking out the look and feel :sunglasses:

Then we put the front end on.

Got some more to do today, I’ll post updates a little later :+1:t3:


#3

The only thing I can think of doing, is drilling and taping it out to next size, you will also need to slot the hinge plate. when I was tearing down my recent project I found out this had been done on the door side.


#4

@dyijb Thanks for the input. That’s what I was thinking too. It’s not hard to do but just checking to see if there is any other options. :+1:t3:


#5

I seem to remember that Locktite makes a thread repair kit (not a helicoil) where you fill the hole, screw the bolt in, let it harden, then remove the bolt,leaving New threads. I never used it and don’t know if they still make it but may be worth looking into.


#6

Great feedback. That’s really the best way I think.


#7

You might try a metric bolt thats slightly bigger to reduce the drilling and slotting. Just a thought.


#8

Thanks everybody for the great idea’s. It got the creative juices flowing and I have decided that I am going to tap the holes out to 7/16 - 20 UNF, then take the 7/16 bolts and machine the head down from 5/8" to the correct of 9/16" to make them look exactly like the original. That way they will all be the same head size. I’m also tossing around the idea of doing it to all of the hinge bolts so they are all the same thread size too.

Kent


#9

That works too. Good luck