Color Sand and Buff without Burning Edges

I just repaired and painted the rear, plastic bumper cover on my Honda van. I want to color sand and polish the bumper and rear fender to help with blending the color (new paint to old paint). Where the plastic bumper and the fender meet is a spot of concern for me. I am worried I will burn the paint at the edge because the plastic stands up just a bit higher than the fender. Not enough to see, but enough to feel. How do I buff this out without risking a burn on the edge of the panel?

I thought about protecting the high spot with tape while I buff the fender, then take the tape off and buff the plastic. Is there a better way?

I believe your idea is the best bet, a bit of tape double layered should protect the parts of concern.

Yeah, that’s the only thing I could think of. This is a photo of what I am talking about. I just painted the bumper last week, it’s time to buff it out now.

I just took the photos this morning. The left side of the first photo is the bumper to fender seam. There is some morning dew still on the paint. You can see the fender is just a bit higher than the plastic bumper.

The second photo is looking down. The top of the photo is the fender looking down to the fender to bumper seam. In this section, the plastic bumper is a bit higher than the fender.

I believe you can add some masking tape to the area of concern and use your power or air tool to sand and buff it out and then hand buff the area where the masking is at. Probably the safest bet. Hope I helped.