First post - new project car

What’s up guys!?! This is my first post here on the PUB… So I picked up this 99 civic hatchback as a little project … has some dings and dents on her… some rust holes at the bottom of the passenger side door and rot on the hood so I’m going to replace those panels… it’s fall time here in Boston so it’s starting to get chilly. Tying to decide wether or not to wait until spring to start doing bodywork… I have done a lot of little projects with aerosol cans with great success, but this willl be my first time painting a complete car with a spray gun … I have a 21 gallon air compressor which is pretty small for such a big project - so I plan to remove the fenders, hood, and bumpers and spray separate ( let my compressor catch up ) I will be spraying the car either light gray or white… any comments, suggestions or questions please feel free!!! Looking forward to learning and growing with You all. And big shoutout to TONY B… have learned a lot from his channels in the last year or so, so thanks man- appreciate you!!

3 Likes

I am almost finished with body work on the civic… lots of little dings/ dents all over … pulled big ones with stud welder first… I’m having a nearby body shop weld a piece of sheet metal on my quarter panel due to rust … I am going to purchase a 10x10 wedding tent offline and use that to paint in . Will be going with base/clear… either a white or light gray … I have a 21 gallon compressor - so I will basically be painting in two separate shots this way I won’t have to play “catch up” … shouldn’t be an issue because I’m not using any metallic or flake…I’ve done a lot of touch up jobs with aerosol. And but this will be my first time using a hvlp to paint an entire car

1 Like

I set up the eBay wedding tent today and used it to paint bumper. It worked out good, I posted pics of it set up in the other thread… Just fyi I don’t have a big air compressor either(anymore) I run 2 small compressors hooked together, a 22 gallon and a 25 gallon, and they do just as good if not better than my 60 gallon did. On top of being more convient to move size wise, I dont need 220v for the smaller compressors so they’re also easier to move around if I want to set them up somewhere else. You can find a used smaller compressor dirt cheap if you keep an eye on the classifieds, idk if you’ve looked into it before but just something to keep in mind if not. image
My set up

Just checked out your thread … good stuff man! I think I’m gonna just make it work with my 21 gallon compressor for now … it’s a small car so I should be fine. Do you use a Hvlp or lvlp gun?

I’m using 1k primer to seal completed body work temporarily until I hit it with some 2k… I keep getting this issue where I’ll do body work and then when almost done sanding dents some bare metal high spots will pop up … am I warping the metal when sanding too much? Maybe hitting same area for too long … the metal is pretty thin…??

1 Like

I bought a Sata 3000 and a couple of Matco spray guns, all HVLP, when I first started painting so that’s all I used for the longest time.
I just recently bought a Sprayit 33000 LVLP Spray gun kit tho that I’m starting to use more and more. For the price of the Kit they’re suprisingly really good quality guns with a really low air consumption and produce a good finish with the right adjustments. This is the LVLP kit I bought.