WELCOME Getting Started at The LABAP PUB!

Hi. I live in London Ontario Canada and am a professional mechanic. I have been messing with cars since I was 14. I was born in England and we moved to Canada in '69. Whilst I miss England I love Canada. Sorry rest of the world, I’m sure you are great and all but Canada is perfect for Car guys. The four seasons are perfect for restoring old cars. Spring gives you a deadline, summer is for cruising, fall gives you urgency and great memories and winter gives you time to build. Being next to the greatest automotive supermarket is a bonus! I started out as a machinist because my dad had his own shop and it would have been stupid to not take advantage of it. I became a licensed mechanic in 1997 at the ripe old age of 30. My favorite car is the Ford/Mercury Capri. I have owned 32 of them ranging in years from 1971 to 1984. I still have 6 that I am restoring along with a 1964 Ford Anglia, a 1982 Mustang GT and an 82 Volvo 242 GT. I know, I have an addiction. My problem is that I presently work for BMW and hate it. They are terrible, complicated cars that are physically and mentally demanding without the financial compensation. I was building track day cars for relaxation but realized I’m 15 years from retirement and don’t want to work for someone else anymore. So … Snow is great for learning car control but is hard on the cars. I am good at restoring bodywork but have been farming out paintwork. The problem is I can’t compete with insurance companies for body shops and don’t want to pay for specialty shops to paint the cars I am restoring. I want to build and sell fun reasonably priced daily drivers that people can be proud to own that are different. I will be building a booth in the future but for now I can rent one. Consider me a newbie and have patience. Thanks!

Welcome to the LABAP Pub. Lots of great info on here and a lot of knowledgeable friendly people too. Looking forward to seeing more of your posts.

I’m not a huge Ford fan but I do really like the old ones. The project I am working on right now, and have been for a LONG time, is a 1940 Ford Coupe :wink::+1:t3:

Kent aka “Genesis”

Thanks. When I was younger I was only Ford but age helped me see that variety is good! Right now I am working on a 77 Capri II. Despite only having 40,000 miles it has been painted several times. I picked it up from a friend cheap. He has done all the welding but lost interest. I am trying to strip it down to bare metal but the paint is thick and resistant. I will post pictures soon